Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sleepless













Sleepless (Bird of Stone #1)

Tracey Ward

4.0/5.0

 
Alex has a superpower, but not the kind you'd be excited to have. She can't control hers and it lands her all over the world unpredictably. She falls asleep in her bedroom wakes up in Paris, Ireland, Wrigley Field, or whatever other destination her power chooses at the moment. However, it's not all bad. Her power is how she meets Nick. 
 

Nick has a power too. He can't feel fear. It's great for his military career... sucks for his social skills.

Their relationship is a long, strange story, but trust me; YOU WANT TO HEAR IT!


First of all, the banter in this book is absolutely hilarious. Which is why reading it in public was probably a poor choice. Apparently if you are sitting at a table alone and burst out laughing over something you just read in a book people just assume that you are insane. Based on the number of times that particular situation occurred while I was reading this book, it's a miracle I wasn't committed.



I really love that Ward didn't limit the banter to just Alex and Nick. Alex's sister Cara and Nick's fellow PJ's, Walter and Campbell are all sharp and have no problems holding their own with both Nick and Alex. The banter kept the story interesting and amusing even during the heavy world and relationship building periods. Those are usually periods where I get impatient for SOMETHING to happen, but I was too amused with what all of the characters where saying and thinking to even care. That's impressive in and of itself.



As for the story itself, I loved it. I really did. Ward did a great job of creating chemistry between Alex and Nick without creating insta-love. The progression of the relationship was perfect. No “omg, he gives me the tingles and I'm in love” bs.



Ward also creates a story that is unique. It's different from anything else I've read. That is something that I don't get to say very often. A lot of times I really feel like I'm reading the same story with different characters in other YA books. It was refreshing to have a completely unique story that was all her own. Plus, it was just a really fun read.



Finally... that ending... OMG. I'm sooo dying to find out what happens next! Its definitely not the most intense cliffhanger ever, but it's intense enough. I'm a sucker for cliffhangers (i don't know why.... glutton for punishment or something like that), and I was happy with it. It left me all “NONONONO! You can't just LEAVE it like THIS! I NEED TO KNOW NOW!!!” To me, that is an ideal ending.



I didn't have huge expectations going into this book. I honestly kind of had my doubts. I'm soooo glad that I didn't let them stop me from reading this though. It's truly an awesome book, and Tracey Ward could be well on her way to becoming a favorite author of mine. 
 

Read it. Love it. Share it. Seriously. It's that good. 
 

Also... Tracey... please hurry on book two! I'm dying over here! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment