Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Review: Hyperbole and a Half




Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms,
Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened

Allie Brosh

This book is so incredibly cute, it’s incredicute.  Yep, I just made up a new word for it.  Err- I guess it’s actually a hybrid not really a new word…I think we’re getting off topic here. 
If you’ve ever read the Hyperbole and a Half blog then you already know what to expect from this book and it definitely delivers.  Allie has a way of bringing humor to virtually any topic.  Whether it’s the mundane act of training a new dog or the darkest throes of depression, she somehow brings out the funny.

Her style is remarkably charming and relatable.  Even when it is focusing on topics that I don’t have much experience with firsthand, I could still identify with the way she processes it. In fact, her internal battles are some of the funniest parts.  I think everyone assumes that having an internal dialogue with yourself is somehow crazy, but we all probably do it.  Or maybe I am crazy.

The ms paint style drawings, while admittedly simple, are quite effective.  The range of emotions she can convey in these doodles is mindblowing.  If you’re looking at them dismissively-give it a minute, they will win you over.

My only complaint is that I have already seen many of these on the blog and was hoping for more new material. Also, it left out my absolute favorite:  How Kenny Loggins ruined Christmas.  It was my first taste of Hyperbole and a Half long, long ago and it still makes me laugh so hard I cry.  You should go read it, like now


No comments:

Post a Comment