Saturday, February 8, 2014

Cursed (Voodoo Nights) by Lizzy Ford












Cursed (Voodoo Nights)
Lizzy Ford
3.5/5.0




Overall, personally, I'd give it like 3.5 stars. However, I think someone just a little bit younger than me would probably rate it much higher.

The story has a lot going for it. Its a really, really interesting premise. I felt like the curse spanning the four families very intriguing. The author did a really good job of giving you enough information to understand what was going on, while leaving enough mystery to keep you turning pages like a madman trying to figure it out. The end was brilliant. I'm dying to know what happens from here. I felt like the author broke my heart, but then gave me just enough hope to want to read the next book. I love a cliffhanger, and this one is done pretty well. 

I think a lot of my caveats with this book just stem from me being nearly 30. I'm not a big fan of high school drama, and it kind of got on my nerves. Additionally, while I liked the main character, I found her to be sort of weak, whiny, and sometimes downright annoying. When she decided to do something really stupid (like walk the streets alone) she was super brave about it. However, when it was something silly like talking to Jayden, she suddenly was so timid she ran and hid... literally. Additionally, she was lacking that self confidence that I really appreciate in female leads. She seemed to be more worried about how everyone was looking at her and how she wasn't pretty enough more than anything else. I think I would have liked her a lot more if she had a bit more of a bad-ass streak and some self confidence. 

However, despite my dislike of these things, I do think that someone younger, maybe still in high school, may find the character easier to identify with. Overall, its not a bad read, and I'll definitely be picking up book two to figure out where the rest of this story goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment