Wednesday, December 11, 2013

REVIEW: Counting Shadows - Olivia Rivers



Counting Shadows
Olivia Rivers
Publish Date: July 1, 2013
3.5/4.0


This is one of those books that is really hard to rate.  The first half of the book is very set-up heavy.  You learn a lot of back story and are very much in Faye's head.  The majority of the first half is set in Faye's rooms while she mopes over her dead lover and plots her revenge on the person who got him killed.

It doesn't really pick up until Lor finally convinces her to leave her rooms and then all hell breaks loose Then things get really freaking interesting, really freaking fast.

The first half of the book was around 3 stars for me, but when it got going, it shot up to a 4.  So, since I was torn with what to give it, I just split the difference and called it a 3.5.  I don't want that to discourage you from reading it though, because I have a feeling book two is going to be REALLY interesting.

Overall, its a good story, and I understand why the beginning was the way it was.  In this case, you are going into a story where the love interest is dead.  The beginning is meant to show you how much she cares about him, and all that he gave just for her.  It's meant to help you feel the connection between them and help you understand why Faye is so hellbent on finding his killer.

Unfortunately, while I can imagine how horrendous her loss is, I have a hard time connecting with a character who is dead.  So while I felt for her, and I understood her motives, I really didn't care about him.





Lor on the other hand... HOLY HELL!  Lor can call me sweetheart any damn time he likes.  He is seriously sexy with his cocky lines and tattooed self.  *drool*



I absolutely adore his random fears as well.  They seriously cracked me up.  Although, I'm still not sure what is up with his nervous twitch.



Oh well, he's hot anyway.

Overall, I'm still recommending this as a read, because although the first half of this book is kind of slow, I have a feeling that book two is going to be awesome.

Especially after the cliffhanger she threw in at the end that left me making this face (minus the fur):



I'm totally psyched to read book two!


No comments:

Post a Comment