Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Make Me a Match by Lori Brighton












Make Me a Match

Lori Brighton

2.5/5.0




I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. It was a very middle of the road kinda story to me.

The idea was awesome, however I felt like the plot was thin in places. I found the whole 17 year old girl, raising her sister and running her own PI business hard to swallow. So I guess that kind of tripped me up coming out of the gate. As the story progressed it seemed like things that weren't all that important were long and detailed, and then important things were skimmed over and I was left to try and fill in the gaps.

As for the characters, I liked Emma's fierce determination and independent spirit, but her stubbornness bordered on stupidity at times. Owen seemed like a good guy, but I wasn't crushing on him or anything. The characters just didn't grab me. It's not that they were bad, they just didn't do it for me.

The story definitely had some high points, and even a few edge of your seat moments. So it definitely wasn't all bad. There just weren't enough of them to keep me dying to flip the page and read the next chapter. There were a lot of points where I truly struggled to hang in there.

The end didn't really blow me away either. I guess I might have been more emotionally impacted if I really liked the characters, but as it stood, I was just kind of whatever about it.

Overall, I almost kind of felt like the characters were geared for someone much younger, even though some of the situations didn't seem quite as young. The story would have benefited from a little less romantic angst and a lot more action and suspense.

It really wasn't a TERRIBLE read, but it unfortunately didn't end up on my list of favorite reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment